Here’s how to take advantage of appreciated securities without incurring capital gains tax.
How it Works
- You transfer appreciated stocks, bonds, or mutual fund shares you have owned for more than one year to Lebanese American University.
- LAU sells your securities and uses the proceeds for its programs.
- You receive an immediate income tax deduction for the fair market value of the securities on the date of transfer, no matter what you originally paid for them.
- You pay no capital gains tax on the transfer when the stock is sold.
- Giving appreciated stock could be more beneficial than giving cash.